The first established settlement in Rough and Ready was made in the fall of 1849 by a mining company from Wisconsin, known as the Rough and Ready Company, during the California Gold Rush Their leader, Captain A. A. Townsend, named the company after General Zachary Taylor (nicknamed “Old Rough and Ready”) who had recently been elected the 12th President of the United States. Captain Townsend had served under Taylor when he commanded the American Forces during the U.S.-Mexican War. California had three towns so named of which this one survives.
The town declared its secession from the Union as “the Great Republic of Rough and Ready” in 1850, largely to avoid mining taxes, but voted to rejoin the Union the following year. The old republic is celebrated annually as a way to attract tourism.
The post office at Rough and Ready was established by February 1851; the first postmaster was Marcus Nutting.The ZIP Code is 95975. The community is inside area code 530.
The post office was closed for a time in 1855, again for a time in 1913, and again from 1942 to 1948.
What little is left of the town is located on the Rough and Ready Highway. It was bypassed by State Route 20 in the mid 1980s. Among the oldest buildings are the blacksmith shop (1850s), the Odd Fellows Hall (1854), and the Old Toll House.
The town of Rough and Ready is honored as a California Historical Landmark (#294). – from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All photographs by and property of Tasha Standridge owner/operator of goldcountry.massagetherapy.com in Roseville, Ca.