Iowa Hill, Ca. Placer County

In 1851 or 1852, miners from Iowa discovered gold here. The Iowa City post office opened in 1854. Stores, breweries, saloons, fraternal lodges, homes, a church, school, and Temperance Hall are examples of businesses thriving in Iowa Hill in the mid-1850s. The town was producing about one hundred thousand dollars per week in gold in 1867. In 1901, the post office changed its name to Iowa Hill. In 1920 a fire took hold that virtually destroyed the town. What remains is an old Wells Fargo vault, the old fire house, a couple of other old buildings, and two cemeteries.Iowa Hill is now registered as California Historical Landmark #401. Wikipedia

iowa-hill

Iowa Hill Road is a very steep, one-lane, winding road embedded within the mountains. There are no safety guardrails. Since ambulance service from Colfax takes a long time, emergency medical transport is supplemented by CALSTAR, the area’s air rescue helicopter. A landing pad is located next to the town fire house. One curve about half way up is known as “Dead Man’s Curve”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *